Thursday, January 3, 2013

A moment to be in the present.


Sunshine, yay!
It's a rare time when I can consciously be present while attending to the basic needs of our fourth child. So many other needs usually rush in, but this morning it happened. The last week has been full of sleepless nights and sick little ones, stress with the business, and no time to grocery shop. Then this morning came as a sweet gift, a little bubble in time wherein I could just pause and drink in these last days of babyhood.

Although it has been cold with snow on the ground for a while, I awoke to sunlight streaming in the windows. After a surprising breakfast where everyone ate their oatmeal with gusto, I decided it was time to bathe the two littles. When it was time to take Zibs out of the tub, I reached for a towel, and guess what? It was actually her towel, still plush and not worn down from 10 years of washing, and there it was... I was inspired.

I would give her a massage, and oh, look, there's some yummy smelling citrus Badger body butter! My chubby baby didn't cry or try to crawl away while I rubbed and soothed her trying to remember techniques from the infant massage class I took almost seven years ago for Baby Dragon (who hated it).  Then with the sunshine pooling on the bed where I dried her off, massaged her and nursed her without interruption, I knew it was a cloth diaper and fresh woolens kind of morning. It felt so good to have my intentions come to fruition, even if only one morning this winter. It felt good to live out those ideals that seem to keep getting pushed back by the demands of every day life with six in the house. It felt incredible to smell a fresh and contented baby after long nights of discontent and sour breath. My gratitude for this simple delight poured happy serotonin into my brain and I thought, "I have got to write this down so I don't forget." Ta- da!

Connecting :)


No comments:

Post a Comment